USDA Announces Available Farms Online

USDA has announced new online registration for the Transition Incentives Program (TIP). TIP provides up to two additional CRP annual rental payments to a retired or retiring owner or operator of land under an expiring CRP contract if the land is sold or leased to a non-family member beginning or socially disadvantaged farmer or rancher for the purpose of returning some or all of the land to production using sustainable grazing or crop production methods.

What are CRP payments? The acronym stands for Conservantion Reserve Program and provides annual payments to farmers who convert erodible cropland to vegetative cover. Farms in CRP have a multi-year contract. For retiring farmers, when that contract is about to expire, they can receive two additional CRP payments if they sell, or have a contract to sell, or agree to lease long-term (at least 5 years) the land enrolled in an expiring CRP contract to a beginning or socially disadvantaged farmer or rancher.

Who qualifies as a beginning or socially disadvantaged farmer? A beginning farmer is one who has less than 10 years of farming experience. To be sociall disadvantaged, a farmer must be a member of a socially disadvantaged group whose members have been subjected to racial or ethnic prejudice because of their identity as members of a group without regard to their individual qualities. Gender is not included.

To look at farms available through this program, visit the USDA website. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s