erin molnar, assistant market manager
Finally – the usual abundance of August tomatoes has finally hit. (Ok, it might not be the USUAL abundance, but it’s a pretty good bounty.) To celebrate, we have had a tomato jam demonstration at Highland Square and the Tomato Tasting and Salsa Smackdown at Howe Meadow.
Kelli, of The Agrarian Collective, came to Highland Square on August 15th and wowed market shoppers with her beautiful and delicious tomato jam. Most people were initially a little skeptical, but that first taste won them over. Kelli ran out of recipe handouts and there have been requests since then to post the recipe. Well, here it is – styled in a beautiful recipe card format by Kelli herself.
Chef Dan of D.B.A. prepared an Heirloom Tomato Salsa
Reduce to 1 1/2 cups: 4 plum tomatoes, and the juices from 10 limes, 2 oranges and 1 grapefruit.
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 hot wax pepper, finely diced.
Chefs Randy and Simon from Momocho crafted a Goat Cheese Charred Tomato and Onion Salsa.
- 3/4 bunch cilantro
- 5 leaves basil
- 4 oz baby bouche goat cheese
- 1 quart yellow cherry tomatoes, charred
- 5 red beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 Spanish onion, diced and charred
- 1 Jalapeno, including seeds, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
Toss with 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar and salt to taste.
Dice the following:
- 1 watermelon
- 4 apples, tart and firm
- 4 purple radishes
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 serrano chile
- 1 pint ground cherries
- 1 pint blueberries
- 3 Tbsp cilantro/basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice